Followers

Saturday 18 July 2020

WHERE'S ROGER!!

         Hi there, it's been a long time since I was last here and sharing our life in Latvia. I guess one of the reasons I stopped writing my blog as I didn’t want to bore people with repetitive posts, you know, went here, did that, saw this, saw that. When I checked I found I had started “Tales from Upes Iela” in Febuary 2011.


A spot to stop, have coffee and pause
for thought.


          So after some consideration and suffering from Lock-down syndrome, I will incorporate some things from both the local area plus what's been happening in 13 Upes iela since the last blog.

         Please ask me if there is any particular things you would like to know about the area and our life here in Latvia.


Morning mist, the view from a bedroom window.
We watch deer, foxes, and even eagles.


          In my first offering I’d like to tell you about a little mishap that happened to me last year. I think I may have mentioned, modern technology and I don’t always get on. As long as things work I’m fine but if not I’m lost. ( Valerie tells me not to fiddle with things ) but I do love to touch buttons and fiddle.

          I have a smartphone and can take a picture, make a phone call, and use messenger to make video calls. But for a long time, I had passwords on a security app, trouble was I couldn’t remember the password to get into it.


Our little dog taking a nap in the shade, she
is now twelve and a half years old.




          So it was as the song says “ early one morning just as the sun was rising “

          I went through my checklist with Valerie, Boarding pass, check, Passport, check, Train ticket pass, Car parking, and man bag with all else I needed for a week away on my own in the UK. I was heading for Trowbridge to spend a week with family, helping to decorate our daughter Anna’s dining room. ( it’s what dads do ) I was booked on Air Baltic’s 07.45 flight from Riga to Gatwick and from there on to Trowbridge by train. As daylight started to rise in the east I said my farewells to Valerie with the promise I would keep her updated with my progress every step of the way.


This little fellow paid us a visit one morning.
No grey squirrels here.


        Oh the truth of Robbie Burns words “ The best-laid plans etc etc”

        The journey from home to Riga airport takes about 50-55 minutes and I arrived at the carpark in good time and that is when the problems began, I found a space, and by the time I had squeezed out of the car the courtesy van had arrived, so grabbing my flight bag and my trusty man bag from the back seat I shut the door locked it and jumped into the van and was away. , I hadn’t had time to call home. With stage one complete I would ring home in the airport The last time we had flown the queue for check-in was humongous and so seeing almost no one waiting I shot through saying to myself once I’m through I can sit down in peace and call Valerie and update her.


We call it the peat train and have seen the
the engine just three times twelve years.



           I found a quiet seat, sat down and opened my man bag. OH NO no phone!!!!! and it dawned on me only then it was still in the car, What the heck can I do now,stop, think,!!!! don’t panic, Ah I know I can buy a cheap phone and call her. Have you ever tried to buy a cheap phone in an airport? Even in duty-free it just ain't going to happen. But you can buy this one for 350euros that will do everything your PC does, but I have one of those already but it’s in my car! It was at this point I said a little prayer, like please help me, Lord. short and to the point. I would just have to trust Him. Wandering around one shop I was approached by a very nice young sales lady, who asked if she could help me, she must have seen my downcast expression ( for by now it had dawned on me, Valerie would be wondering where on earth I had got to, and this heavy black cloud was hanging over my head) I explained what had happened and how all the things I needed were locked inside my phone and I desperately needed to contact my wife who would be going spare by now thinking the worst. “Oh dear,” she said let me get my phone and you can ring her, but, I don’t know her phone number, it’s in my phone!!! but I do know her email address, ( that was a bit of a eureka moment, OK so we can send an email to her, the black cloud started to lift. I spelled out the address which was a little tricky as the pronunciation of I, e, and a in Latvian is different to the English, but we got there in the end. My message read something like this. Don’t worry, I’m fine, will explain when I get to Trowbridge, Love you, Roger. And we sent it. The cloud lifted a little more, and all was better with the world.


Down to the front path.


        What I didn’t know was that Valerie was by this time in contact with our family and told them “ I’ve lost dad, don’t know where he is, and I can’t reach him on his phone, it just rings and rings, also, more importantly, my email never arrived.

        So whilst I was blissfully enjoying my journey the family who by now were all aware of the situation were sending messages of comfort to Valerie saying don’t worry he’ll be fine. Our son in law set up a group on messenger called “ where’s Roger” so at any time there was news all the family could be updated. He would meet the train as planned and then he was sure I would exit the train station grinning like a Cheshire cat, if I didn’t that was the time to panic.


          Needless to say, I arrived as planned and the crisis was over. The message went out to everyone “ I’VE GOT HIM” so panic over, Valerie knew I was safe,, The rest of the week went as if nothing had gone amiss.

         I would like to share the words of this old hymn because my Christian faith is very important and through all the problems recounted above (all my own fault I might add) I knew that I had someone far greater with me


  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;

  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;


PS. Because of the long gap since my last post the events I have recalled above happened in 2018, so I am playing catchup.

3 comments:

  1. Have enjoyed your Blog Roger , I think most have done that with a mobile phone .What a worry it can cause at the time.
    Take care keep safe .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to catch up with you Roger and thanks for the giggle. I'm glad they got you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hi if you have enjoyed reading this Blog
please feel free to encourage and make
a comment, thank's